Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kathy Unplugged

I did a wild and crazy thing today.

I unplugged my cable TV.

It feels like I stopped drinking cold turkey or stopped smoking cold turkey--honestly.

It's not that I watched all that much TV--mostly news and NCIS and old movies. But it is there and it is a comfort zone and a place to veg out and let my mind go blank. As a widow, I grew accustomed to just having it on--a noise in the background. I controlled it. Then one day, it was controlling me.

I have been talking to Jesus about my need to spend more time at His feet lately, lamenting that I once spent whole days and even nights in prayer and study. I told Him I wanted to return to that "Mary" ministry--sitting at His feet, breaking the alabaster box.

He, in His typical, "still small voice" fashion, seemed to be saying one word: TV. Turn off the TV.

I would promise that I would definitely do that tomorrow, and then a new Middle East crisis would occur, or the huge earthquake--sending me to nearly 24/7 viewing, as the cable channels love to hear--and after all, doesn't all of this tie in to prophecy fulfillment? So I had to keep abreast of the latest world events, didn't I?

Well, actually, no. I didn't. I could check the latest news on my computer, without getting pulled into an all day vigil.

So, this morning I actually pulled the little black box out, turned it around and unscrewed the cable.

It is now 8:35 PM and I have gone an entire day with no TV. There were some panicky moments when I didn't know what I should be doing, but overall, I feel very peaceful right now.

Stay tuned--this could get interesting.

3 comments:

  1. O brave woman! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is working out really well--I am accomplishing more than I have in years, not feeling like I need to lay down and take a nap while the news is on, listening to my Christian music, answering emails, finishing books that have been sitting around half-read. Who knew that TV took up so much time! And I only watched news and NCIS and old movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome thing to do!!! And I agree, I too read less because I have been 'numbed' by the TV. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete