Monday, April 11, 2011

KATHY UNPLUGGED PART II

My first day without TV was a bit panicky to be honest.

I wondered what I would do during those long evening hours without the sounds of the evening news in the background.

I needn't have wondered. My first day without TV was so filled with activity that time flew past and before I knew it, it was time for bed. Is it my imagination, or does TV actually cause time to go slower? It wasn't that I had more to do that day; it was that I got more done without having to sit down on occasion (or for an entire afternoon, I am ashamed to say), to watch news/weather/NCIS reruns. You know, just to take a little break?

I learned that once the TV goes on, my brain checks out.

I learned that once the TV goes on, I am too tired to read in the evening.

I learned that the real reason I don't read as often as I once did (on average of two books a week), is because my mind is too numb from TV.

As evidence of this--I finished two books that I had started awhile back and started on a third, which I am halfway through. In addition to several periodicals and magazine articles.

So, is it my imagination, or does TV cause the brain to check out?

I will continue my research and keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    I realize you posted this a while ago now, but I just had to answer your question:
    "is it my imagination, or does TV cause the brain to check out?"
    No, it's not just you, I said this statement almost word for word just a few days ago to my husband who can't even fall asleep without the tv going. By the way, I love Psalm 63.
    Peace In Jesus,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete